Week of June 12, 2023
This Family Update provides important information about Summer Rising enrollment, and free Summer
• Summer Rising Enrollment
• Summer Meals Begin June 28
Summer Rising Enrollment
We are happy to say that approximately 94,000 students have been matched with a Summer Rising seat
so far, with the remainder set aside for students required to attend summer academic instruction. A select
number of seats may become available over the coming weeks. Enrollment for these open seats will be
broken into two stages.
Stage 1 (existing applicants):
An initial list of Summer Rising sites with available seats along with the corresponding Community Based
Organization (CBO) contact information will be available at nyc.gov/SummerRising beginning Friday,
June 16. Placement priority for these seats are as follows:
• Priority 1: Siblings that were placed in a different program or did not get a seat
• Priority 2: Students connected to the CBO and school
• Priority 3: All other students
Families for whom a seat becomes available will be contacted directly about stage 1 by CBOs via the
email they provided during the initial enrollment period beginning June 16
Stage 2: Any available seats following stage 1 will be posted on nyc.gov/SummerRising on Friday, June 23.
• For families who did not apply to Summer Rising in April NYCPS will reopen the enrollment portal
(available through nyc.gov/SummerRising) for sites with availability on Friday, June 23.
• Families will be able to apply for the remaining seats.
• CBOs will inform families of their acceptance to a CBO/Summer Rising program and the necessary
forms for enrollment.
If you have any questions, please reach out to your student’s school, Summer Rising CBO, or email
firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Summer Meals Begins June 28
Summer Meals service begins Wednesday, June 28! NYC Public Schools’ Summer Meals program
provides free, nutritious breakfast and lunch meals to anyone ages 18 years and under throughout New
York City. Meals will be available at designated public schools, community pool centers, parks, and food
trucks. No registration, documentation, or ID is necessary.
• The Summer Meals program runs June 28 through September 1, 2023
• Select locations will be open Wednesday, June 28 (Eid al-Adha). All citywide locations are
open for service Thursday, June 29, 2023.
• There will be no Summer Meals service on Tuesday, July 4, 2023 (Fourth of July)
Please visit schools.nyc.gov/summermeals to learn more and for all the latest information.